Friday, June 12, 2009

Learning to Love

So much about this church planting thing is a learning experience - really, I guess all of it is. But it's the things I didnt know that I needed to learn that continue to surprise me the most. We came with one mission: to LOVE the people of Chapel Hill with the heart of Jesus. I expected that the "figuring out what the heart of Jesus" really means would be the tough part. And probably, it is. But I find myself still learning what it looks like to love - the part I thought would be a no brainer. So, here are a few of the things I've learned lately:

Real love for a friend looks like your heart breaking when theirs is hurt.

Real love looks like taking one extra lap around the block just to spend a little more time walking among the people.

Real love looks like a free night's stay at the Red Roof Inn and a Wendy's Baconator the night before a new job starts.

Real love looks like going over the top, only to find that there isnt really a top at all because love means that there's always more to give.

Real love looks like a red carnation after a hard day at work.

Real love looks like a low-paid summer internship in ministry rather than a posh job at the Gap.

Real love looks like driving 4 hours round trip several times a week to connect with friends who are quickly becoming family.

Real love looks like cancelling a trip to stay by the side of those who need you more.

Real love looks like an invitation to something greater.

Many thanks for the lessons, friends. It is an honor and a pleasure serving with you!

1 comment:

kb said...

What a beautiful post! You and all the Love Chapel Hill folks are an inspiration to us all and show us what love looks like through your daily works. - Kirsten :)