Monday, August 25, 2008

Breakin' Out the Bubbly

So I have a new job. So far, I love this new job. I'm getting to watch people do exactly the job that I want to be doing. (I know, go with me.) It's good experience. But, it's temporary - through November. So, in a temporary job, especially, it's important to be impressive. Even if I'm not in this office long-term, I want to be within the system long-term. So, I go early, I stay late, I'm eager, I take out people's recycling... and I don't turn down a task, no matter how menial.



Then I am introduced to this cabinet:





Turns out, I need to know a little something about liquor. More specifically, if our office happened to be hosting an event with, say, Portuguese Octapodi grilled with micro organic greens, olive oil and red wine vinaigrette for dinner... I may have to come here and choose the - beverages - that would most appropriately accompany such a meal.

Truth be told, I'm ill equipped for such a task. However, this is not information that I choose to share. In fairness, it wasn't on my resume, and wasn't brought up in my interview. So, untruthful I have not been!

I don't have to serve it. I don't have to drink it. I don't even have to watch too-wealthy benefactors drink it. And so, I shall choose their - beverages. But first, I'll research.

Here's to being a star employee, and to learning new skills. Oh yeah, and to temp work. Cheers.

4 comments:

Nathan and Stefany Head said...

HILARIOUS. I'm so proud of you for sneaking a picture! I think it is SO FUNNY that out of all the people in the WORLD you have the job of being the liquor cabinet watch guard. HILARIOUS. Oh, and the way you are handling your new job--staying late, working hard, not turning down tasks--this sounds familiar . . . oh wait! That's what you did when you taught too! I'm telling you, girl, you are TOP NOTCH in EVERYTHING you do!!!! Miss you!

Jeanine said...

Stef,

No, no... it's just an act to get them to want to keep me. Once I'm in - I promise to be a slacker! :)

Unknown said...

Seriously.... have you ever slacked a day in your life? I'm with Stef on this one.

Just so you know, checking email on during your 15 minute lunch break where you eat 10 pieces of popcorn before meeting with 3 students and putting up play posters doesn't count as "slacking."

Anonymous said...

I am a little late commenting on this one, but I am totally with Stefany and Erin. You will never be a slacker no matter how much you try!